There is no dispute in the fact that Chrome is the most used web browser among web surfers. Among many favourable features of Chrome, its speed matters the most. In fact, it has the ability to load a page with extensive graphics in a fraction of a second. It also harbors thousands of add-ons, and Chrome is amongst the first browsers to introduce them for the users and let them enjoy limitless facilities without simply being a browser. No matter how fast Chrome is as a browser, it’s inevitable that it crashes at some points. You can be in the middle of titanic work on your shoulders, and to make it worse, here comes a crash. To resolve this issue, Chrome can be opened in ‘Safe Mode.
When can I use Chrome safe mode?
Chrome safe mode comes in handy when you are struggling with unexpected crashes on the browser and also if you care about your privacy when browsing on the web. Of course, you can protect your data and privacy with this option; however, to a certain extent. What happens here is, the browser will not save any data of yours, including browsing history, cookies, or the data that you have entered into websites. Yet, this doesn’t mean that you are completely hidden because your IP address will always be visible.
What causes Chrome crashes?
Chrome may become vulnerable to crashes, especially when a bunch of extensions is running coupled with your device being slow to handle the burden. Or else the culprit can be new software that you have recently installed that makes conflicts with Chrome.
By entering the safe mode of Chrome, the unnecessary extensions that are running in the background are removed from the scene and paves the way for the browser to run smoothly. This makes the browser run faster.
How to activate Chrome safe mode in Windows?
Unlike browsers such as Firefox, unfortunately, Chrome doesn’t host a safe mode option. But hey! Have no worries; you can still get the same process done in a different manner.
There are many ways to activate safe mode in Chrome.
Open Chrome with ‘incognito window’
Here’s how you want to do it.
- Click on the three horizontal dots that you will find in the top-right corner.
- Select ‘new incognito window’ (you will be taken to a new window with a dark theme)
Or you can use the shortcut keys. For that, press Ctrl + Shift + N (You don’t want to follow the above steps if you are following this path)
- Now you are all set for private browsing
To launch google chrome in incognito mode, use the Run window
- You can launch the Run window by pressing the Windows key+R
- Type chrome.exe -incognito in the Run window and press enter.
- Chrome will be launched automatically
Use the command prompt to launch Chrome safe mode
Another way to activate chrome safe mode is by using the command prompt of your computer. Follow the given instructions.
- Press the Windows logo key
- Type “CMD”
- Open command prompt
- Change the active directory to Chrome’s installation path.
cd “\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application”
- At the end of the path, type chrome (space)–incognito
\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application＞chrome –incognito
- Then press the enter key
By setting up a shortcut for incognito Google Chrome
This method might seem a bit more complicated than the first two methods. But once you have done it, then the safe mode is just one click away. Let’s see how to set it up.
- Make a copy of the shortcut of Chrome that you are already using.
- Right-click on the new shortcut you just created
- Select ‘Properties’
- Now go to the field ‘Target.’
- You will find the path to the ‘Target.’ At the end of the path, add a space and then type ‘-incognito’
- To save the changes, click the ‘OK’ button
Now the shortcut is set up to open Chrome incognito when you click on it.
Here we have discussed several ways of launching Chrome incognito. When launching Chrome in safe mode, it strips down the add ons that are running with it. Is there a way to launch Chrome in safe mode with add ons? Of course, there is.
Chrome safe mode with add ons
This is what you need to do.
- Go to the settings of the browser
- Click on More Tools
- Select Extensions
- Enable the extensions you need.
How to activate Chrome safe mode on Mac?
For Mac users, the following steps can be followed to launch Chrome in safe mode.
- On the menu of the Chrome window, click on ‘File.”
- Select, New Incognito Mode
Or you can press ‘Shift + CMD + N to use the shortcut for incognito mode.
How to launch chrome safe mode automatically on Mac?
You can set chrome safe mode to run automatically when you open the browser by following the steps given below.
- Open the ‘Launch Pad’
- Navigate to the Others folder
- Run Script Editor
- Type the following code on the new document
do shell script “open -a /Applications/Google\\ Chrome.app –args –incognito”
- Give a suitable name and change the file format to ‘Application And save the file
- Open ‘Finder’ and run the one you created
- Go to iCloud Drive and open the script file you have created.
There are billions of people around the world who are using the internet for personal, entertainment, or business purposes. Chrome is the first picked browser of many internet browsers with no doubt for its simplicity, speed, add ons, etc. But still, it may cause you trouble by crashing and making you frustrated. Switching into safe mode by following the instructions we have given you will save you from the troubles by allowing you to browse smoothly on the internet and protect your privacy.
More on techtripe.com : How to empty trash on Android? read here.
[…] More on techtripe.com: All you want to know about Google Chrome safe mode. Read more. […]
[…] on techtripe.com: Click here to read about Chrome Safe […]